Friday, March 26, 2010

Emerald Chicken (Chino Bandido)

Emerald Sauce, Courtesy of Eve Collins, Chino Bandido
¼ cup finely minced peeled fresh ginger
¾ cup finely minced green onion
2 tsp. kosher salt (can be adjusted to taste, I would suggest 1tsp)
1 cup vegetable oil

Combine ginger, green onion and salt in small bowl. Add vegetable oil, stirring to combine and dissolve salt. Strain mixture thru cheesecloth to drain most of the oil. Oil can be reserved for other recipes. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container.

Chino Bandido serves this with chopped chicken. I steamed some tenders and chopped them up. I also sauted some chicken tenders in olive oil and they worked just as well as the steamed tenders. A side of rice and you've got a meal.

3 comments:

  1. I made this and cut the salt as well. 1 tsp is plenty. I also put the chopped onions and ginger in a 2 cup glass measuring cup and then poured enough oil to cover; that's all you really need since you strain it all out anyway. I added black beans as another side. Thanks Jen for finding this; it's so fast and easy (if you have cheesecloth on hand)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this again last night with a heaping 1/2 tsp. of sea salt and it was great. I also used about a golf ball sized piece of ginger root and about 1 c. of green onion. We ate this with white rice (calrose) and I estimate that the whole meal came to about 300 calories per serving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We stop at Chino Bandito whenever we're in Phoenix area and love the emerald chicken. This holds us for the summer months when we're not in Arizona. I use about 1/4 cup oil and don't strain. Otherwise, this is my recipe!

    ReplyDelete