1 whole chicken, cooked with salt to taste
- SHRED and reserve broth (about 6 cups)
- Use the rest of the chicken broth to cook potatoes
18 slices (small loaf) of white bread
- Soak shredded bread in 1 cup of milk for at least 15 minutes (won’t hurt to soak longer)
- Add enough water to cover well and blend till smooth
10 red or golden red potatoes. Cooked whole
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves of Garlic (pressed)
- ½ cup of parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. Turmeric
- 2 tsp. of Salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Cumin
- In a large pan heat oil and sauté onions for about 1 minute (med-high heat)
- Add garlic and spices (turmeric, salt, pepper, and cumin) cook till onion is translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add shredded chicken and stir to coat chicken well and then add enough broth to cover the chicken; bring to a boil.
- Add bread mixture and bring to a boil again.
- Reduce heat (med-low) and stir constantly (it will stick if not stirred). Cook for 20 min. adding more broth as needed. Consistency should be thick, but loose.
- Add parmesan cheese and cook 5 more minutes.
TIP: If you run out of broth and the mixture is too thick, heat some milk and add as needed.
Serve over sliced potatoes or white rice (or in the Peruvian tradition, both). Garnish with a slice of boiled egg and an olive.