Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Flour Tortillas

I needed a change in tortillas, for some reason I just can't stomach store-bought tortillas any more.  As luck would have it I've found it quite simple to make them at home.  I use a recipe from the Food Wishes blog.  You can watch a video of how to make the tortillas here.  They are surprisingly easy even without a tortilla press.  I put a little flour on the counter and roll out the dough like I would a pie crust, but as thin as possible.

Ingredients:
8 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 3/4 cup), more as needed
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup hot water (about 105 degrees F.)
 
Mix dry ingredients together, cut in shortening then add hot water.  Knead for a few minutes then cover and let rest for 20min.  Cut into eight pieces for fajita sized tortillas.  Roll out dough as thin as you can then cook in frying pan about one minute on each side.

1 comment:

  1. Jen, these are addicting! I can't handle store-bought tortillas either (except the uncooked ones, which I haven't been able to find here in VT) so this recipe is exactly what I needed.

    ReplyDelete