Saturday, January 30, 2010

Pita Bread

After being spoiled with fresh pita bread every day in Israel, I thought I'd try my hand at making it myself. Turns out it is super easy and works pretty well. You start by following mom's basic bread recipe but I cut it in half to make it a little easier to work with (and I usually cook with olive oil).

Ingredients
1 1/4 c. Lukewarm water
1 Tbsp. Active dry yeast (or 1 packet)
3 c. Flour (I've tried it with partial wheat and partial ryle. Both were delish.)
2 Tbsp. Honey
1 tsp. Sea salt
2 Tbsp. Olive oil

Mix it all up and beat for a few minutes until dough is thoroughly kneaded but still soft. Rub dough ball with oil and leave in bowl to rise until double in size (about 30 minutes).

Preheat oven to 450. Move rack to lowest position and remove other racks. You also need to preheat your cooking surface. Use a cooking stone or a large pizza pan.

Turn dough onto floured surface. Knead 15 or 20 turns. Roll into roap and divide into 8 to 10 pieces. Roll pieces into balls and let them sit for 15 minutes.

Roll balls into flat rounds about 1/4 inch thick (you know, pita-looking). Place on cooking surface and bake for 2-3 minutes. (I can usually only fit 3 or 4 on the pan at a time.) Pieces will puff up after you put them in the oven. I remove them at the first sign of a brown spot. If left in too long they turn crispy.

Set them on a baking rack and let cool slightly, then store in plastic bag to retain moisture.

No comments:

Post a Comment